These submissions involve an in-depth analysis of current medical controversies, policies, or issues. They can also include personal experiences in medicine that are especially moving or enlightening. Possible topics discussed include, but are certainly not limited to the patient-physician relationship, experiences in medical school (i.e., finding residencies), and the meaning of professionalism in medicine. Patient names or identifying information should not be included.
All text, including table and figure legends, should be in Times New Roman font.
Spacing throughout the manuscript should be 1.5-spacing.
Should be in a .doc or .docx file
Should have a word limit of 1000-2500 words, excluding references.
- Article title: The title should be succinct (no more than 10 words) and capture the purpose of the complete article.
- Author names: Author names should be listed below the article title followed by a superscript that corresponds to author information.
- Author information: Authors’ institutional affiliation should be listed. For authors who have changed affiliation since the time of involvement in the research, a second line (with superscript symbol) should indicate their current institutional affiliation.
- Corresponding author contact information: Should include author name, email, phone number, and fax number.
- Conflict of Interest declaration: Conflicts of interest should be described. If none, state: “The authors do not have conflicts of interest to disclose.”
- Word count: A word count for the main body of the article (excluding abstract, acknowledgments, tables, figures, legends, and references), as well as a complete count of all words in the manuscript.
- Number of figures and tables.
- Acknowledgments should include conflicts of interest, non-author contributors, grants, and other forms of support provided during the research process.
- Keywords: Indicate 5 words that best represent the article, which readers can use to search for the published article. If one of the keywords is jargon, provide a brief description.
- Funding: List all sources.
- Abstract tells the story of the author’s research manuscript in 200 words. Within this section, please include a small summary of the commentary article.
- Learning Points (optional): Authors are encouraged to provide a sidebar of particularly “high-yield” points related to this topic of research, which may be appropriate for board examinations and/or clinical rotations. These should be presented as succinct bullet points. Mnemonics, brief algorithms and other memory aids are appropriate here.
- Main Content should be logically organized according to the discretion of the author.
- References: Articles must contain a minimum of 5 references. Authors should be aware that SJM holds a greater weight towards references that are from peer-reviewed, published journals and books.
- Each citation should be structured using the American Medical Association’s Manual of Style, 10th edition.
- References should be cited in the text by sequential numbers in superscript.
- In the references section, references should be numbered in the order they appear in the text.
TABLES AND FIGURES
Figure and table legends should be less than 100 words and use 10-point, italicized Times New Roman font. A legend should be able to stand on its own, like a legend.
Placement of figures and tables should be indicated throughout the manuscript. If a previously published table or figure is included in the author’s manuscript, the author must provide written permission from the figure’s main author.
- Figures are cited sequentially in the text using Arabic numerals (for example, Figure 7).
- Tables and Figures will be uploaded as a Word document titled “Article Name Tables and Figures,” separate from the original article document.
- Each page will contain at most 1 figure or table, and include an underlined descriptor (i.e. Figure 1: Picture of a table or Table 2: Descriptions of figures) at the top of the page.
- Tables should be set to a simple format, similar to the following example:
|Table Column 1||Table Column 2|
- Screenshots of tables are no longer accepted
Create a folder that is labeled using the following format: “LAST NAME, FIRST NAME_Full Article Title_SJM Com Sub.” Within this folder, please put:
- Your title page and acknowledgment section in a word document labeled “LAST NAME, FIRST INITIAL – Title_Acknowledgements”
- Formatted manuscript (excluding the title page and acknowledgments), with its file name and the document itself labeled with full manuscript title. Please make sure that ALL personal information from this particular document is removed.
- Tables and Figures as separate images that have been labeled as “Table or Figure X – Title”. The legends for the tables and figures should be put in a separate word document and labeled to their corresponding figure.